New blog, new inspirations and a soon to be new start to the quarter. Here’s a VERY easy recipe to get all your veggies for the day and keep it delicious! Best of all, all the veggies in the recipe right now are in season! Which means cheap cheap cheap at the grocery store! I love going to Sprouts for produce…they surprisingly have amazing produce prices. The recipe is very flexible – you can use whatever veggies you want (ie. use what’s in your fridge or what’s on sale for the week!). I chose these veggies because they give the dish so much color and it’s very eye pleasing.
Comfort Veggies and Rice
Serves: 4 servings
Prep time: 5-10 min, Cook time: 10 min
- 1 cup brown rice – cooked (I like short grain brown rice)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2/3 can of chickpeas
- 2-3 handfuls of spinach
- Chili powder
1. Wash and cut your veggies leaving skin on. For the squashes I cut it in half lengthwise then quickly slice it down to bite size pieces. Cut the bell peppers into bite sized strips.
2. On med heat, drizzle some olive oil in a wide pot and throw in your garlic. Let it cook for 1 minute.
3. Turn heat to med-high and add in all your veggies and season with salt/pepper. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes until veggies are tender.
4. Turn heat down to med-low and throw in your rice and chickpeas. Mix it well with your veggies.
5. Slowly incorporate your spinach in handful by handful. You can really add as much spinach as you want…I love lots of spinach!
6. Add in about 1 1/2 tablespoons of coriander. Really you can add in as much as you want to taste. Add a few shakes of chili powder. Salt/pepper to taste.
Enjoy your warm veggies and rice! I love adding sriracha on top and mixing it in!