Sprouts has this once a year superb avocado sale I wait for every year….3/$1! And for once it’s not the puny ones with huge seeds! The 99 only store does have that bag of avocados for $1 but they’re the tiniest avocados I’ve ever seen and most of them were already very ripe. And yes, I know it’s weirdly strange for a person to get so excited about avocados on sale, but I can’t help it…I LOVE avocados. My future plans with my 12 avocados are for sandwiches, salads, guacamole, avocado smoothies, avocado ice cream and anything else I could think of! Recipes to come!
I woke up this morning knowing I needed a good breakfast to get me through 4 hrs of straight lecture. I had just bought the avocados yesterday, so I wanted avocados with eggs. I was on a time crunch (like every morning), so I quickly just cut open and avocado, scooped out the some of the avocado for lunch later, cracked an egg and threw it into the oven. It baked while I was getting ready, and by the time I was about to leave it was already done! It makes it very creamy, warm and buttery. You can top it off with whatever you like (bacon, green onion, cheese, ect) but I just quickly threw on pepper, salt and parsley. Who says you can’t have a quick to make delicious breakfast?
Avocado Baked Eggs
Serving: 1 Avocado/1 serving
Prep time: 5 min, Total time: 30 min
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Egg
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion, parsley, thyme, salsa….options are endless! – I opted for dried parsley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Cut your avocado in half and remove the pit.
2. Scoop out about 1.5-2 Tbsp of each side of the avocado. You want enough room for the egg. Place avocado on baking sheet.
* Save the avocado for salads and sandwiches.
3. Crack and egg and put the yolk and as much of the white that can fit in one half (the bigger half if you have a bigger side) and the rest of the white in the other half.
4. Bake avocados for 25 minutes.
5. Top with anything you like! I like fresh ground pepper, salt and dried parsley on mine.
**Note: the trickiest part of this is getting the egg-filled avocado to the oven without spilling. Mine kept rolling around on the pan so I opted to just stick my hands into the oven (very unsafely) and made sure they stood up. Once you get them into the oven standing up it’s no problem though! I think using a 6 cup muffin pan would probably work best to balance the avocados. If yours spills over, just pour it back into the avocado and try again.