During the summer months, I try very hard to refrain from turning on the oven, and instead grill as much as possible. This results in some fantastic grilling of all that beautiful summer produce – summer squashes, tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, and even peaches and plums (which are amazing on top of vanilla ice cream!). My grilling mainly consists of a bit of salt, pepper and olive oil and slapping it on the grill….which goes a long a way. I’m a big believer in cooking simplicity, and allowing food to be food. This recipe follows the mantra quite well. It is simple, yet elegant. It pairs well with some herb couscous and glass of your favorite crisp white wine or summer ale. So kick back and enjoy those lazy summer days with some simple grilling!
Grilled Halibut and Summer Vegetables
Prep time: 10 min, Total time: 30min
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and halved lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 2 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp capers
- Handful of fresh sliced basil leaves
- 4 halibut fillets (~6 oz)
1. Light the grill. Rub down all the vegetables with olive oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Grill all the vegetables over moderate heat, turning until charred and just tender on all sides. About 3 min per side.
3. Peel the skin from the tomatoes and bell pepper. Dice all vegetables.
4. In a large bowl, whisk red wine vinegar with capers, and 1/4cup of olive oil. Slowly whisk in the vegetables. Add in basil and gently toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Brush halibut with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill the fillets over high heat, until they have those nice golden grill marks on each side.
6. Transfer halibut to a plate and top with the vegetable mix.