August has brought with it sweltering hot days, but along with it a beautiful abundance of golden ripe peaches and plump blueberries. I’m usually a chocolate kind of girl, but summer makes me want to dig into a fresh fruit crumble or cobbler with a side of fresh vanilla ice cream, and wash it all down with iced tea or lemonade.This goes without saying in the summer heat, I also really like to put as little effort (and sweat) into baking as much as possible. And that’s how I came up with this secret little recipe.
It has become my go to for all those summer barbecues, cookouts and dinner parties. It’s easy to throw together and everyone loves it. What it essentially is, is cake batter poured over fruit. Nothing fancy about it, but who needs fancy at a barbecue anyways? There’s something nice and rustic about the simplicity of it, too. A plate of warm fruit, dash of cake and scoop of vanilla ice cream at its finest. Don’t forget that glass of fresh pink lemonade either!
Riduculously Easy Peach and Blueberry Cake
Prep time: 10 min, Total time: 1hr 15 min
- 1 1/2 peaches, peeled and diced into large chunks
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 pound of butter, melted and slightly cooled (1 stick)
- 1/4 sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees
2. In a bowl, combine the peaches, blueberries, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss until coated evenly. Pour fruit mixture into a 10″ glass pie pan.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs on med-high for 2 min.
4. Lower mixer to medium and add in 1 cup of sugar, melted butter, sour cream and vanilla. Beat until just combined.
5. Lower speed to low and slowly add in flour and salt.
6. Pour batter into the pie pan over the fruit mixture, covering it completely.
7. Right before putting cake into oven, sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar evenly on top.
8. Bake for 55-60 min or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle of the cake, and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.
9. Let cake cool to room temperate and set before serving. Vanilla ice cream recommended.