I have clinic on Saturday mornings now, and it’s as bad as it sounds. However, having a delicious breakfast to munch on while works makes it infinitely times more tolerable for me and everyone else. These scones are so quick and easy….quick enough for me to whip up right before work! I usually prepare the dry ingredients the night before and mix in the wet ingredients the next day, then just throw them in the oven! Sprinkle them with a little powdered sugar on top and they make delicious, not overly sweet breakfast treats that go great with coffee and tea! Perfect to impress friends and give their morning a kickstart!
Cranberry Orange Scones
Servings: 16 scones (or 18 mini scones)
Prep time: 10-15 minutes, Total time: 35 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups of flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries – you can virtually use any dried fruit (raisins, currents, ect) and make any kind of scone you want
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Powdered sugar (optional for garnish)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt).
2. Mix in the dried cranberries and orange zest. If you are doing this the night before, save the orange zest for the next day so it doesn’t dry up.
3. Mix the wet ingredients together. Make sure the buttermilk is room temperature so it doesn’t cool and clump up the melted butter.
4. Stir your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients JUST UNTIL everything is wet. If a little of it remains dry, that is Ok. Do NOT overmix!!
5. Make 16 plots on a baking sheet, preferably covered with parchment. I like to use an ice cream scoop and round out the base.
6. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until you see some golden brown edges.
Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top for decoration and enjoy!